Friday, June 3, 2011

Long Overdue...

So it seems fitting that the last time I updated was Brayden's first day of kindergarten because yesterday was his last...guess I didn't have much to say? Unfortunately it seems that this blog has gotten more use for medical updates than fun stuff, but I wanted to give the longer version of what is going on for those who are interested, so here you go...

Yesterday morning I was sitting on the couch with Cameron (who had a 101 fever) and stood up to get him juice when I felt the bleeding start. I grabbed him and drove across the street to the ER where they freaked me out for a while trying to figure out what was going on - there were probably 20 people in the room and everything was pretty up in the air at first. They were trying to figure out if Carter still had a heartbeat and coudn't because my heart rate was elevated to 150 so they couldn't tell if it was mine or his with just the monitor. After an ultrasound they were still unsure of what was going on with the bleeding, but could tell that he was okay so they moved me up to labor and delivery. I have been told that I have placenta previa with a partial abruption, and vassal previa. Basically my placenta is low and has separated into 2 pieces. One of the pieces is covering part of my cervix, which is where they think the earlier bleeding came from. There are also veins connecting the 2 pieces of the placenta that are laying across my cervix. They have said that it's not really a question of IF I bleed again, it's when. If it's determined that the blood is coming from me but they are able to keep us both stable, they won't do anything. If the blood is from baby and he is in distress, the will have to take him by emergency c-section. So, I am here on complete bed rest until either I bleed again and the worst happens, or I make it far enough that they can just take him by regular c-section.
Right now I am 24 weeks and 4 days. His chance of survival at this point is a little less than 50% so every day is crucial at this point to just keep him in there. They are giving me steroid shots to develop his lungs and another medication that is supposed to protect his brain. If he survives, his risk of complications is extremely high - very probable CP, brain damage, etc. Each week is a huge milestone, and at this point the major goal we are shooting for is to make it to 28 weeks (June 27) where his chance of survival goes up to almost 100%. If I make it to there, then I think they will shoot for 32 weeks (July 25) and I assume at that point they may just go ahead and take him.
It seems really strange to be in the hospital and instead of hoping to get better and go home soon, hoping to have to stay here for a really long time. It is going to be hard on the boys but we will make it work. My mom is coming up tomorrow to spend some time here and if everything is still the same after a week or so she will probably take them back home with her to Arkansas for a few weeks. I'll miss them both terribly, but it would be a huge help for us to not have to constantly worry about who can watch them.
Thank you all for the prayers and support. I have had a ton of people ask if we need anything, and at this point all we really need are prayers to keep this baby in there! I am very open to visitors as I feel totally fine - I am in no pain or discomfort at all. I have a feeling I will be extremely bored after being here for another day or so, so don't feel like you are bothering me if you need me for anything!
For now no news is good news, but I will update if there are any changes.

No comments: